Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 2, 2005, 01:48 AM
JTCopper

Terence Blanchard-What a concert!!

For all of you that were there, you know what I am talkin' about.....
This concert was unreal. Terence Blanchard's new group represents what jazz is all about-creativity and invention.Like Terence said, "Well, we could play the stuff that was done 40 years ago. But that was already done. That is not the true nature of Jazz. I am proud of this band, as everyone in the band is a visionary......"
They truly are pushing the boundaries and crossing into brand new territories. With Kendrick Scott, Derrick Hodge, Aaron Parks (a Seattle native), Lionel Loueke (from Africa) and Brice Winston, Terence Blanchard amazed a very appreciative Jazz fest. crowd. Just how many directions can one tune go in? Well, according to this band, it is unlimited. The version of "I thought about you" nearly brought down the house. My personal favorite was the tune "Wadagbe" written by the guitarist, Lionel Loueke. As Terence mentioned, in Lionel's audition in front of Herbie Hancock at the Monk school of Jazz (Terence is on the panel as well), Herbie's response to Lionel's playing was simply, "Damn".
This band is the musical version of that movie, "What the Blink do we know"...........beautiful!!!
Well, with all of that said, a special thank you to Coastal Jazz and Blues for bringing this band to the festival. Also, a a very special thank you to TERENCE BLANCHARD AND ALL OF THE MUSICIANS IN HIS BAND. Thank you for opening your hearts and opening our minds!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intro-tb[1].jpg (10.1 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by JTCopper : Jul 2, 2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:00 PM

What the bleep?

Yikes, that's not a good comparison. I don't see how Blanchard could be compared to that dishonest movie. See http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2...he_bleep_.html for more.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:31 PM
JTCopper

Well....uhm...ok. Then I will compare it to jello spiked with rum...beautiful! BTW- I did not think that this movie was "dishonest".
Old Jul 5, 2005, 06:42 PM

The Joy of Getting Off Topic

I was waving each of my extended middle fingers at the screen as the credits rolled on that movie.

That movie brings up a bunch of interesting ideas, but then, from what I can tell, warps them towards unwarranted conclusions.

One of the most damning things about that film was that none of the experts they interviewed about physics had a viewpoint which dissented from the films mystical tenor. Talk to every physicist you know. Ask them what metaphysical conclusions follow from the superposition of states, parallel universes, and other bits of quantum strangeness. I think real physicists generally take great care not to make any mystical assumptions based on the strangeness of the sub atomic world, and for good reason. If the new physics meant that we could no longer take a rational view of the empirical world, then the rational and empirical method that gave us this new physics would crumble, and with it ...the new physics! See the problem there?

Also, it's my understanding that the film was funded by the cult (and it really is a cult!) of J.Z. Knight, who channels "Ramtha", a 35,000 year old spirit from Atlantis, or some such similar codswallop. J.Z. herself appears as one of the "experts" in the film. She is in no way qualified to hold forth on these issues, from anything I've ever read about her. Also some of the physicists they interviewed had very fishy credentials indeed. One was from Maharishi University. Okay!!

I could go on, but it's off topic. I'm glad you liked this movie, JT, because it starts off talking about really, really neat stuff that I wish more people were into. But all I'm saying is that there appear to be good reasons to reject its conclusions.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
JTCopper

Yeah, I can agree with you Mike about that movie. It had some interesting points of view, but it seemed more interested in "selling" the concepts that they were speaking about. I related the concert to this movie due to the depth of the music and the various directions it took. That is all.....rum jello perhaps, is a better comparison?? LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: